CONTACT     THE TRUST     DONATIONS

Car Parade-439-916-434

Whether you book a vintage car tour or just visit our store come and check out our wonderful vintage cars. So full of rich history and carefully cared for by their owners, these cars make you feel like you've stepped back in time.
 

Scan2021-01-30 170453 (2)-679-219-181-527
PACKARD 110 Drop Head Convertible Coupe

Manufactured in the 1940s by the Packard Motor Corporation in Detroit, Michigan, USA this wonderful Drop Head Convertible now goes by the affection name of “Connie”. The Convertible Coupes were one of six models released in 1940 as part of a production total of 62,300 vehicles. When she was purchased she went for the seemingly humble price of $1100 USD which in today's money was about $28,300, truly a gem.

Connie is a six cylinder straight six, 4 litre side valve engine developing 100 brake horsepower at 3,200 RPM. Single barrel down-draft Stromberg carburettor with a three speed sincro-mesh colume change with overdrive.

This car is a rare, factory right hand drive car. It is one of only five brought to Australia in 1940 in knock-down kit form and assembled locally, a differentiating feature being the rear bench seat of the export car as opposed to the fold-up rear seats of the US model. Our earliest knowledge of the car was when it was in the Jack Griffiths collection, Annandale, Victoria. When this collection was dispersed at auction in 1985 it was retained in family ownership until 2011 when it was sold by Belinda Griffiths to Allan Curtis of Victoria. It was imported to New Zealand in February 2018 by Andy Stirling and purchased by John Ellison in October 2019.

39PCRD
Packard 1700 Six Four Door Sedan

A rare maroon beauty manufactured in 1939 by The Packard Motor Corporation in Detroit, Michigan, USA. The Packard 1700 six, was one of six models of this line produced in 1939 as part of 24,380 vehicles produced. Initially purchased at $890 USD or in today's money $16,562.

Packard was founded by James Ward Packard, his brother William and their partner, George Lewis Weiss, in the city of Warren, Ohio where 400 Packard automobiles were built from 1899 to 1903.

Packard is a Six Cylinder Straight Six, 4 litre side valve engine developing 100 Brake Horsepower at 3,200 RPM. Single barrel down-draft Stromberg carburettor. Three speed sincro-mesh colume change with overdrive. Weighing in at 1.5 Tonnes.


 

   

Ponty-816
PONTIAC Deluxe 6 Series 37-26CA

The 1937 Pontiac "Silver Streak", manufactured by General Motors, Pontiac, Detroit, USA, was America's first all steel constructed car. Known as "America's Finest Low Priced Car" it incorporated many Art Deco features its body was built by Fisher.

This car was one of a number of knock down kits shipped to New Zealand in 1937 aboard the SS Westmoreland and assembled right hand drive at the General Motors assembly plant in Petone being completed on 29 June 1937 and railed to New Plymouth being sold to Archibald Jupp in Waitara on 24th December 1937. Ownership remained in the Jupp family for 40 years and was then purchased by Neil Brown in Waitara in September 1967. This Six Cylinder Straight Six had only travelled a total of only 53,500 miles in those 40 years. It changed hands several times over the next 30 years in Taranaki and was then sold to an owner in Tauranga before being purchased by John Thompson in Napier in 2004. It was purchased by Tony Mairs in February 2018 to use for Art Deco Heritage Tours. This Pontiac has travelled a total of 125,000 miles and is one of 179,244 constructed in 1937.

Initially purchased at $780 USD which is the equivalent of $14,118 NZD in 2021.           

20191209 134228-869-148-389-903-49
PACKARD 1600 Six Four Door Sedan

“Pearl” was new in New Zealand on 17th December 1938 the same year she was manufactured by the Packard Motor Corporation in Detroit, Michigan, USA.

Packard was founded by James Ward Packard, his brother William and their partner, George Lewis Weiss, in the city of Warren, Ohio where 400 Packard automobiles were built from 1899 to 1903.

The Packard 1600 six, Four Door Sedan was one of six models of this line produced in 1938 as part of 55718 vehicles produced. Initially purchased for US $890 or in today's money NZ $16,562.

A Six Cylinder Straight Six, 4 litre side valve engine developing 100 Brake Horsepower at 3,200 RPM. Single barrel down-draft Stromberg carburettor. Three speed sincro-mesh floor change and the vehicle weighs in at 1.5 Tonnes.

The original registered owner of the vehicle is unknown however in early 1939 it was acquired by Jack Gibbs, a nursery man in Dannivirke as the settlement of a debt. The car remained in the Gibbs family until purchased by Tony Mairs in 2018 having travelled only 97,400 miles in 80 years.                                                                                                        

   

PCRD38
PACKARD 1600 Six Four Door Sedan 

 

This Packard 1600 six, was new in New Zealand on 5th July 1939, the year after it was manufactured by the Packard Motor Corporation in Detroit, Michigan, USA. Packard was founded by James Ward Packard, his brother William and their partner, George Lewis Weiss, in the city of Warren, Ohio where 400 Packard automobiles were built from 1899 to 1903.

The Packard 1600 six, Four Door Sedan was one of six models of this line produced in 1938 as part of 55718 vehicles produced. Initially purchased for US $890 or in today's money NZ $16,562. A Six Cylinder Straight Six, 4 litre side valve engine developing 100 Brake Horsepower at 3,200 RPM. Single barrel down-draft Stromberg carburettor. Three speed sincro-mesh floor change and the vehicle weighs in at 1.5 Tonnes.
               
The early ownership of this car in unknown. It was restored in the late 1990's by Brian Mitchell in Napier and purchased by Graeme Holley for use with Packard Promenades in 2011 and used for Art Deco Tours and weddings. Ownership was undertaken by the Art Deco Trust in in 2013.

JOES39
PACKARD 1700 Six Four Door Sedan      

 

1939 The Packard Motor Corporation in Detriot, Michigan, USA. Packard was founded by James Ward Packard, his brother William and their partner, George Lewis Weiss, in the city of Warren, Ohio where 400 Packard automobiles were built from 1899 to 1903. The Packard 1700 six, was one of six models of this line produced in 1939 as part of 24,380 vehicles produced. When first purchased the car cost US $890 or in today's money NZ $16,562.

A Six Cylinder Straight Six, 4 litre side valve engine developing 100 Brake Horsepower at 3,200 RPM. Single barrel down-draft Stromberg carburettor. Three speed sincro-mesh floor change and the vehicle weighs in at 1.5 Tonnes.   
            

The early history of this vehicle is not known. It was originally in the South Island before being bought to Napier, owned by Graeme Holley and then the Art Deco Trust.

   

FOLLOW US

worldwide
 
201 FacebookIcon201 TwitterIconNew Picture (5)-917

CONTACT US
for any information